Wednesday, May 27, 2009

TKAM #7 Jem

After we left the court room, we met Mr. Dolphis Raymond. He seemed like a nice guy and we decided to talk to him. My stomach was feeling a little up so I could use some company. Mr. Dolphis Raymond was nice enough to offer me his drink. I did not want to seem prejudice so I took a sip. After I drank it, I thought I was drunk because all I tasted was coca cola. The last person I expected to be faking drunk would be Mr. Dolphis Raymond because he is always stealthy and walks around town acting drunk. Scout and I asked him why he is the way he is and he replied with an answer that seemed like Atticus would say. He said that sometimes you have to do things to shut people up instead of winning the fight because trying to solve a problem by creating another problem is just plain annoying. By acting drunk is sort of fraud and people might be mad at Mr. Dolphis Raymond for lying all these years but I could not change him. After thanking him and returning to the courthouse. We were just in time to catch the ending of the court case. Everyone in the colored balcony were saying that Mr. Gilmer was completely irrelevant which gave me a feeling that we won.
Out of nowhere, Calpurnia walked in and I had a feeling it had to do with me and Scout. A note came out of her hand and in that moment, my heart sunk. I knew that it was a note from Aunt Alexandra about us. Atticus then says to all of us that we have been missing and someone in the crowd pointed us out. I knew I was in huge trouble when Atticus saw me because we were not allowed to visit the court case by Atticus’s orders. After meeting Atticus downstairs, we begged him to let us stay because I was so anxious about the ending of the case. He granted us permission to come back to the case as long as we went home, had supper and ate slow. When we were home and ate supper, Aunt Alexandra seemed as disappointed at us as Calpurnia was. All Calpurnia could think of was how could I bring my little sister to the court case. Aunt Alexandra stayed quite throughout the whole supper. We were gone almost an hour and nothing at the court case seemed to have changed. It did not seem like Atticus was getting into any predicament at the time. The jury returned and I was almost blinded by my own anxiousness. I had to know who won and I had to know now. As Judge Taylor read the paper, all of the votes were guilty. At that moment, I had already used up all my energy being anxious and could not even realize that Atticus lost.
I was so disappointed and knew it was not fair. We met Atticus outside by the street and I told him that it wasn’t right. He agreed that it wasn’t right but he said it was done before and it could be done again. This world just didn’t seem fair to me because an innocent man is having his life on the line for helping a girl with chores just because of the color of his skin. It just wasn’t right.

0 comments: