Monday, March 9, 2009

A Long Way Gone #6

Quote #1:"I concluded to myself that if I were the hunter, I would shoot the monkey so that it would no longer have the chance to put other hunters in the same predicament." Pg.218

Significance: I felt that Ishmael is saying that if you have to do something, you have to do something. There is no ignoring because you know that if you do, someone else is going to suffer. He is saying that its better him than anyone else. That is a rule for him because of all these things he has done. If someone has to die, he will. If someone has to leave, he will. He is just apologizing to all the people he has hurt.

Personal: I feel I can relate to this because a lot of times, I feel like I should just do that extra job, or help that extra person because if you add all those up, it will make a difference between being good and bad. I feel like if I do not do something, letting the next person in line will just eat me up inside.

Question #1: Do you think Ishmael is saying this because he is apologizing or he just feels that every human on this earth is equal?

Quote #2: "I sat on the ground next to the grave and talked to my uncle". Pg.208

Significance: Although there are so many people who do this, I chose this quote because this is one time where Ishmael really felt a connection so strong that he did not care if his uncle was there or not. This is one time where after someone dies, he actually stops and feels his heart pumping, knowing that someone is still there.

Personal: This is one of the quotes where it relates to me all the time. I always feel like my deceased relatives are still talking to me, they are still sending me messages. My friends would always say that I have no emotions but when it comes down to just plain feeling something connecting with me, I have a lot of that. Sometimes I feel like no one has died, all is normal and I just go on talking to the person who is deceased like I would talk to him normally.

Question #2: What do you think Ishmael was talking to his uncle about beyond all the talk about loving him and helping him?

3 comments:

Camille said...

Response #1: I also chose this quote but I don't think that I realized that he may have made this choice also to try to make up for all of the horrible things he's done. I think that after seeing so many people suffer while dying and having family members die, he would rather be hurt than have others be hurt as well.
Question #1: I think that both of these reasons are why he chose this. I believe that Ishmael is very complicated and probably has thousands of reasons why, but most of all, he doesn't want any one else to suffer.
Response #2: I think that this was a special moment to Ishmael because it was the first time, out of the many people he has been close to that have died, that he has gotten to visit their grave and mourn over them. His uncle was also the one to take him in once he was away from the war.
Question #2: I think that Ishmael was mainly talking about how much he loved him and telling him how grateful he was but behind it all I think he felt a special connection to his uncle because they had both lost people in war and his uncle was almost like a father to Ishmael.

vincent said...

Quote#1:I agree with you that he has that 1 rule that if someone does something he would do that same thing the person does.
Question#1:I think he is sort of apologizing for all the people he killed but he also is thinking that every human on earth is equal.
Quote#2:I also have done with you have done. When some of my relatives have died it takes me sometime before I realize that they are dead. Some people it takes time before it actually hits them and they realize that the person is dead.
Question#2: I think Ishmael was just telling him everything he did when he was a child soldier and just apologize that he didn't get to know him better. That is what I would have done.

Olivia A said...

Quote #1: I chose the same quote, but I agree with you. I think he feels like he needs to do a goos deed for the world after all of the trouble he's seen and done.
Question #1:I think Ishmael said this because he felt bad for the trouble he took part in. I also think he meant that he wanted to prevent the world from more violence

Quote #2: I agree with you. It seems like after someone dies, theres a different connection between you and their dead body.
Question #2: I think he was just talking about how much he loved him, and how he was sorry.