Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Long Way Gone #4

Quote #1: "It began to rain and my family ran into the house, leaving me outside". Pg.165 paragraph 1

Significance: This was so interesting along with the whole paragraph. Ishmael is trying to say that his family was trying to stop him from learning about his and being what he was so much, but they failed. Ishmael was exposed to the horror and now they are scared. They are scared that he is a killing machine, they are scared that he has not been transformed back yet. He feels so left out because of something he was forced into.

Personal: I felt I could relate to this because there have been times where I've made mistakes and all my friends just left me because they think I'm a completely different person because of that mistake. They are scared of me just because of one small mistake, that is all it takes. They feel you are a bad influence to them after the smallest mistake.

Question #1: If you were Ishmael, how would you have reacted and what would you have done?

Quote #2: "Congratulations, man, you have a family member in the city away from all the madness," Mohamed Pg.173 paragraph 5

Significance: I felt that Mohamed did not know what that madness was, I felt that he said it in such a tone he thought it was a small fight. The truth is, this is a war and he's saying madness. It isn't madness, this is much worst. Often people think of wars or major events as small things because they are not apart of it. Mohamed thought this was a small war. Although this quote is very debatable and is very small, I feel that Ishmael responded happy but was shocked or felt pain in his heart because there is actually a person who has not experienced the war.

Personal: I related to this because there have been times where I made comments about something that turned out to be a serious matter and was very ashamed. Of course my comments are were not about a war but I still felt ashamed because someone experienced it and I did not. I had no right to say anything or think of any event different than what actually happened. I'm pretty sure that Mohamed did not mean madness to be a small fight, but he did think that this war was small. If you think about the whole book, this war and all he has gone through is no where near madness.

Question #2: If you went through all that Ishmael went through and heard a comment about the war, the people and the losses that was so wrong you could not bare, what would you have done?

3 comments:

vincent said...

Quote#1: I like how you said how you have been left by your friends because of what you have done. Like one little mistake can change the whole future.
Question#1: I would be kind of shocked and sad at the same time. I woould have gone in the house like he did.
Quote#2:I agree with you on how Mohamed and how he felt about the war beacuse he is like a half full kind of guy. I have also done what you have with the comment things that I have not experinces.
Question#2: If I was Ishmael and someone talked about the war that haven't experinced I would have done two things: one is I would have gone of on them and yell at them about the war and how it affected me,or I would have done nothing and just walk away.

Olivia A said...

Quote #1: I agree with you. I also think that they were ashamed of him after seeing all that he did in the war. Its sad that his family left him like that because they were scared of him and maybe ashamed.
Question #1: I would have been very shocked and upset. But I still would have tried to convince them to take me back.

Quote #2: I think that Mohommed was trying to make the situation less serious. But I agree that he shouldn't have said that because he doesn't know that he could hurt someone's feelings.
Question #2: If something like that happened to me I would have been very angry and have walked away or said something about it. But I would not take any more violence than there already is.

Camille said...

Quote #1: It was also interesting for me that just because of something that he was forced to do a while ago, his family still did not accept him for the person that he really is. I think that his family will figure out that he is not a killing machine anymore and stop treating him badly.
Question #1: I think that I would have been sad that my family left me standing out in the rain because of something that was something I didn't have a choice to do. I would try to explain to them about my expirience and see if then they would understand.

Quote #2: I think that Mohamed was being ignorant when he was talking about the war as if it wasn't that big of a deal. I also think that Mohamed wasn't trying to say something that might not be apropriate but he may have just wanted to feel like he knew what Ishmael had been through.
Question #2: I would be mad at the person but later understand that they weren't trying to be hurtful. I would try to accept that they were just trying to understand my situation.