Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Long Way Gone #5

Quote #1: “I was thinking about the fact that they had run so far away from the war, only to be caught back in it. There is nowhere to go from here.”

Significance: I think Ishmael is talking about how ironic it is because the town is called Freetown and still there is war. He feels so used to this, he see's executions everywhere and can't help but feel deja vu but he knows he can not do anything. All these kids around him have already adapted to the war and are ready for any sudden attack. I think that Ishmael is saying that it is so sad that these people have already felt the fear, tasted blood and have been killed on the inside, they have been completely cleaned of what is human inside. I think because this is the last place they are fighting, he has to summarize what he thinks of the war.

Personal: I can relate to this because sometimes, there are people who are forced into things they don't want to be in. I know that feeling and it is worst than breaking an arm. The feeling just eats you up inside because of the unwillingness to participate but still being forced to. You feel your rights are being violated.

Question #1: How do you think Ishmael felt when he saw these people die compared to how he felt at the beginning when he saw the first person die?

Quote #2: "Maybe they just want to give you a new look, a more African look, instead of those big pants you always wear," His Uncle pg.190

Significance: This quote really shows that now he is so much happier than before, he's finally talking about things a normal teenager needs to talk about instead of war and killing. Although it was so small, he probably really appreciated it because now he is being respected as a normal person and not how many kills he can get. Now he is dancing in pubs and not in a war zone with killing and madness.

Personal: I have been in these situations where I finally accomplished something challenging and is relieved and I go and get ice cream or something. Accomplishing this goal is so amazing because I know that I worked for what i get. Ishmael was forced to fight but his main goal is to stay alive. Once you accomplish your goal, you are so relieved and everything seems much better.

Question #2: Do you think Ishmael is enjoying his life now or do you think he would rather live with his whole family in the war?

3 comments:

Camille said...

Quote #1: I think that it is ironic that the town "Freetown" is one of the many towns caught in war. I also think that he was also thinking about how lucky he was to be able to have escaped the war and never be caught up in it again. I think he is seeing that even though these people had finally gotten away from the war, they still got back in it somehow.
Question #1: I think that inside he was still hurt very badly to see these people dead but I think that after being exposed to death so often he wasn't as shoked as his first experience with war. I think that it still left a mark on him though.
Quote #2: I really like your significance of this quote, especially when you say "he is dancing in pubs and not in a war zone". I like how Ishmael is being treated by his uncle now, as a regular teenager and not constantly speaking and worrying about war.
Question: I think that Ishmael is enjoying his safe, free life. Despite that and living with his uncle, I think that he would rather be living with his family in harm's way instead of being without them in safety.

Olivia A said...

Quote #1: I think that its sad that even though people that have escaped and are free from war, are still not free because they still have painful memories to relive. I think he is reflecting on how he was glad to have escaped from the war.
Question #1: I think when he first saw the people die he was horrified, but after when he saw them die, he was numb and didn't care as much.

Quote #2: I agree with you that he is much happier living a normal life of a teen now that doesn't have to worry if he's going to be killed every day. When he was in Africa he had so much stress and he had to grow up fast in order to keep himself alive, but now that he is living with his uncle he can live like his normal age.
Question #2:I think Ishmael is happy living with his uncle, but I think he would want to live with his family in Africa without war.

vincent said...

Quote#1: I agree with you about how Ishmael think that it is kind of ironic because he is in a town called Freetown, but you couldn't help but think the war was going to get to that town like the ones before it.
Question#1: He was use to the killing, so he was less scared than he was in the begining of the book when the killing wasn't use to him.
Quote#2: I agree with you with the feeling of accomplishment becasue it is a truly great feeling and since he reached that goal he needs to make more goals to he can reach those goals.
Question#2: I personally would rather live with my family now, instead of in the war. I think Ishmael would be the same.